Wednesday, October 6, 2010


When my friend Shari passed away two years ago next month, I continued to mourn for her by shedding a tear each time I drove by the cemetery, which happens to be located only six blocks from my apartment and on the way out of town. So, basically, I felt really sad at least twice a day...and oftentimes more than that. I just couldn't move on and feel any kind of peace about her passing. Shari had been just 50 years old when she passed away of pancreatic cancer. She left behind eight children, four of whom were 18 and under. And there was that brand new granddaughter she loved so much and her husband of 27 years... I missed my continued association with her. I missed her love and hugs and concern...and testimony of the gospel. I wished I could have somehow done more for her. And sometimes I wished that I could have even taken her place. After all, who would miss ME? Shari's death was such a profound loss to her family and everyone around her. It should have been me. Why would Heavenly Father take her and leave a person as insignificant as me? Well, I continued to feel just a deep sense of loss until the following August 2009. Let me tell you what happened to ease my suffering. I was attending my niece Catie's endowment ceremony in the Nauvoo Temple and was standing in the Celestial Room watching Catie's fiancee bring her through the veil. I felt such a feeling of joy that I had not felt since before Shari's passing. As I hugged my niece when she entered the Celestial Room, my mind recalled the first time I entered the Salt Lake Temple's Celestial Room way back in 1983 when I received my endowment. I remembered that Shari was the first one to greet me there, with a big hug and a whisper in my ear that said, "Hug me. This is how it will be when we're all in the Celestial Kingdom together." A huge feeling of comfort and joy washed over me as I remembered this nearly forgotten moment. My Heavenly Father had sent me this special gift to bring me release from the constant grief I had about Shari. Last month was the anniversary of the passing of three of my (and Shari's) special friends: Randy McMillan who passed away in 1978, his mother Beverly in 2003 and his dad Howard in 1991. Autumn always causes me to reflect on what Randy would be like if he had lived. He was just 22 when he passed away of Leukemia. What would the 54 year old be like? I can only see him as I remember him...with the wavy sandy blond hair and youthful smile. Would the lessons he learned during his illness have made him an even bigger spiritual giant now than he was then? In what field would he be working? What would his wife and family be like? Would we still be friends? I hope so. Randy's sister in-law Bonnie told me that she has seen Randy's and Shari's spirits by me, pulling for my success. Another gift from a caring and wise Heavenly Father.... I am reminded of D&C 130:2:
"And that same sociality which exists among us here will exist among us there only it will be coupled with eternal glory, which glory we do not now enjoy."

3 comments:

alpinekleins said...

Love it! It's beautiful and thoughtful - like you :) I hope you enjoy it, you are so talented at putting thoughts into words. I'll be back frequently for all the latest and greatest.

((hugs))

Kristin

Laurel said...

Elaine, What an awesome tribute to a beautiful friend. You are an incredible young women that speaks from the heart. I know that heavenly father and all your angels guide and protect you daily. Please continue to be strong and keep the faith. I love you as many people do.

Friends,
Laurel

Grandma Shauna said...

Elaine, I loved this post, and what a great writer you are. Was this the story you sent into the Ensign? When the rains stops we need to go for a walk.